About Rachel Benbow, LMT, BA, MLIS
Rachel Benbow, owner of The Roots of Health, is a nationally award winning Licensed Massage Therapist, CranioSacral Therapist and Reiki Master. With training in both the USA and Europe, she has a decade of experience in Complementary and Integrative Medicine (CIM), and for four years had her own private CIM practice in Europe. Rachel now provides her therapy services to the greater Harrisburg area.
Rachel has been a vegetarian for the past twenty years, and is a strong advocate of environmentalism. She is a practitioner of Iyengar Yoga, and is fond of dance as a form of self-exploration and self-expression. Her interest in cultural anthropology and history, and her love for international travel, has taken her across the globe in a continual journey of investigation, discovery and understanding.
My philosophy is to therapeutically approach each client as a unique whole. I work to bring the body and mind back into its own natural state of balance by relieving pain and discomfort, freeing blockages, and allowing the client opportunity to self-heal. My support to clients continues beyond the treatment session by answering questions and concerns, and openly sharing my knowledge.
In addition to my role as a therapist, where I connect with people individually, I want to be able to communicate with the world at large. I believe every part of a person (physical, mental, and spiritual) is interrelated. What affects our minds and souls effects our bodies, and visa versa. Likewise we are all interrelated with each other and our environments. This website is designed to be a resource for people to learn about gentle, safe, all-natural methods to heal themselves, their community and their surroundings.
I have discovered through experience that life is a continual process of learning new things. Through questioning our standard beliefs and ideas we open ourselves to many new possibilities--possibilities that can positively transform our lives. It is my pleasure to share with you what I have learned. It is my hope that we all keep learning and sharing with each other.
- Massage Certificate, 900 hr program, (Harrisburg Area Community College, 2014)
- MLIS (University of Pittsburgh, 2001, Summa Cum Laude)
- BA (University of Pittsburgh, 1999, Summa Cum Laude)
Additional Training and Certifications
- SomatoEmotional Release II, Susan Steiner, Philadelphia, PA, 2017
- The Brain Speaks I, Avdhan Larson, Boston, MA, 2016
- CranioSacral Therapy for Pediatrics 1, Carol McLellan, Sacramento, CA, 2015
- Healing From the Core, Suzanne Scurlack-Durana, Washington, DC, 2014
- SomatoEmotional Release I, Suzanne Scurlack-Durana, Washington, DC, 2014
- CranioSacral Therapy II, Dick Larson, Philadelphia, PA, 2012
- CranioSacral Therapy I, John Page, Athens, Greece, 2009
- Reiki III Master Level, Paul Kempisty, New York, NY, 2009
- Reiki II, Paul Kempisty, New York, NY, 2007
- Reiki I, Paul Kempisty, New York, NY, 2006
Lectures and Presentations
- “CranioSacral Therapy and SomatoEmotional Release—A Gentle Touch Releasing Physical and Psychological/Emotional Pain and Dysfunction,” Lecture, Reiki By Rickie, Harrsiburg, PA, Aug 31, 2016
- “Helping Infants and Toddlers through Gentle Non-Invasive CranioSacral Therapy,” Lecture, Om Baby, Camp Hill, PA, June 4, 2016
- “Effect of Massage Therapy on the Proprioceptive System of an Autistic Child—a Case Report”
- Speaker and Poster Session, American Massage Therapy Association 2016 National Conference, Milwaukee, WI, Oct 21, 2016
- Poster Session, Australian Association of Massage Therapists 2016 National Conference, Wrest Point Hobart, Australia, May 27-19, 2016
- Poster Session, International Massage Therapy Research Conference, Seattle, WA, May 12-15, 2016
- “Helping Children with Special Needs through Gentle Non-Invasive Therapies,” Lecture, Jose Johnson’s Martial Arts and Wellness Center, Harrisburg, PA, Feb 27, 2016
- “CranioSacral Therapy: What Is It and How Can It Help You?” Lecture, Spirit of Oneness Holistic Expo, Harrisburg, PA, 2015
- “Massage for Older Adults”
Lecture, Essex House, Lemoyne, PA, Sep 2015
- “Reiki for Health and Home,” Lecture, Avocado Wellness Center, Athens, Greece, 2013
- Grand Prize Gold Award Winner of the Massage Therapy Foundation 2015 Student Case Report Contest. The case report was “Effect of Massage Therapy on the Proprioceptive System of an Autistic Child--a Case Report.”
- American Massage Therapy Association Student Scholarship, Summer 2014
- American Massage Therapy Association (AMTA)
- International Association of Healthcare Practioners, Medallion Member (visit member listing)
- Central Penn Networking Group (CPNG)
Licensed Massage Therapist (license # MSG009527).